Captain Cooks landing race…

22 Jul

Captain cook landed on a particular bit of land in the Marlbourough sounds, dunno what he did but am almost certain he didnt run up the first hill and then continue running 26kilometers to the next bay. He wouldn’t have had the proper gear.  I however, did have the gear, whistles and all, so I ran it.

My weekend began with the ship trip over the strait. Just me-no little people asking me to get them food etc. I read my book. I drank tea. I ate toast. I stared out the window and felt very priviledged. Upon disembarking  three hours later,and lugging my very heavy sports bag to nearest cafe, I worked my way through the newspaper and another pot of tea. I asked the friendly cafe guy for directions to the motel my sister had booked. He said it may be better to get a taxi. I walked anyway. after twenty minutes with  my increasingly heavy bag I arrived at the seediest motel I have ever stayed at. I must have looked a bit seedy myself, arriving sweating at reception, breathing  heavily.  Once Justine arrived, we sorted out our day bags (gear for after the race) and our ‘stayput’ bags (for our overnight stay at the beautiful Furneaux lodge). We sorted our race bags out, making sure the compulsory whistle and survival blanket were amongst the food and jelly beans.

After a restless night, that is, we both listened and worried about the torrential rain that didn’t let up from 2 a.m. We got up, ate and left for the race by 6.50am, into the rain. (That was the last time I was dry till much later that night at Furneaux.)

After waiting under a small shelter with about 148 other people, we were sorted into our water taxi’s according to which wave we started the run. This took about one hour. I was in wave three (6 waves). I guess there were about 40 other sodden contenders  in the boat. After nearly 2 hours travel out to the beginning point (Captain Cooks landing) we were told to wait for 20 mins in the boat while another wave got sorted. Time to eat a banana. I was beginning to get really cold, and slightly impatient. Once let out of the boat, I ran (in the rain) to a small shelter where I waited for another 15 or so minutes. Finally,  we were out of the shelter and to the actual start point, where we were counted (twice) and our names called out like a school roll. wow. I started the run, with frozen feet and wet polyprops at about 10.15. I must say, the comraderie was high, I was having fun right from the very begining. I started off running happily straight up the hill, ended up walking from about half way up I guess. (A lot of people did, which made me feel better). The track was lovely, if not very slippery being wet clay and all. From the first hill, it was mainly down hill and flat(ish) .  My head fell into a dark pit of useless slowness after only a few k, so- I ate a quater of a ‘one square meal’. (Food! the solution to so many problems).  Then I got ‘back into the game’, (huh? isnt that a line from some sort of teen musical?) .  The best part of the run was  an 8k downhill section..I felt like I was flying. I passed heaps of people (okay..probably ummm…5?) that had previously passed me on the uphill. ( I had been practicing downhill running without fear in a few off road’s ). I  felt fearless. I finally stepped in behind a line of five who were going a good pace on the flat and the slight uphills, but a bit slower than I would have on the downhills. It was a great ride with them, our pack ‘leader’ Cindy, calling our names like an army drill. Once the pack dispersed (with ten k to go), I ran with her for the next 5-6k. She flew off when I died with only 3k to go. I kept running, but ran like an..old lady..errr…maybe I am? NAAAHHHH. My lower back was hurting, my neck and shoulders were aching and I felt sick…(Most people I spoke to at the finish were complaining of sore lower backs-it must have been the uneven terrain coupled with large fast downhill sections… abs.) Anyhoo, I ran through the finish line at a sizzlin’ hot time of 3.33. Hmmm. 26k=3.33. Does not compute. (Cindy finished in a time of 3.30 and my bloody sister in 3.23…yes..yes..sibling rilvary…I love her but she damn well bet me…). I retrieved my day bag, found a small laundry to dress in (with two other women). This was funnier than it sounds because we were all frozen, soaked and could not bend over to take our shoes off properly. The laundry was very small, and there were other people trying to get in. I ended up sort of drying myself with my neck gator,(forgot to pack towel) and realizing I had also forgotton to pack my warm possum socks, had to shove my naked feet into my cold damp leather boots. (Did I mention it was still raining at this point?). I then met Justine in the only cafe and huddled by the best grazier fire in the universe and joked around with the other frozen people. Everyone it seems had sore backs and great stories. After waiting a while, we jumped on a boat and cruised into furneaux lodge. We got our room and showered, dressed warmly and headed to the prizegiving. The fastest person did it in (from memory) 2.06. speedster.

My sister bet me on the course, actually (a lot of people did) –I however, am the one that got a prize. Yes, at prizegiving, my name was called for a spot prize! Cindy and Justine were sick with jealousy which was great. (The prize was a jacket). We had a fabulous dinner, they had a whole pig on a spit which actually made me feel very ill, (being vegan and all). Staying the night at Furneaux lodge was fun with a capital T. Justine and I had to share a bed, because the room was booked only in one name and the lodge thought we were a couple. (Yeah, a couple of snoring, wriggling sisters). I had a great time and will definately do it next year. Deane has promised he will as well. It will be a different race with out the rain.


6 Responses to “Captain Cooks landing race…”

  1. Pip July 22, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

    What a great race report! I don’t know how much fun all that waiting round in the cold and damp sounds (though I did a certain amount of that at the second Xterra run), but other than that, what a blast! I’m glad to hear you walked some of that first hill, because I doubt I could run the whole thing. If it was that wet then yes, I can certainly believe it would have been slippery on all that clay. Do you not remember that second hill though?! 🙂 Anyway, you’ve made me think now that I really want to do that race.

    Duck tells me you’re training with her now. Good stuff! I’m also glad you’ve talked her into doing the Goat. I’m already imagining her traversing her way through conditions similar to the horrid ones you ran in last time!

    • catherinedrew July 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm #

      funnily enough, i dont remember the second hill-maybe that is the reason why i went through the sad-sack phase so soon into the run…hmmm…lucky i forget stuff, by this time next week, i wont even remember the first hill and will be telling people how easy the whole thing was…talking them into doing it left right and center..
      Yes..Im glad I training with the duck again…she causes me great pain. I like it. I have realised with a race like the goat, that there is nothing i can say to describe the horror of it all-it truly has to be experienced…so I hope the weather is totally foul so Duck can fully appreciate it. Alpine runs rock! Foul alpine runs rock harder! When are you gonna join us?

  2. Justine P July 22, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

    hmmmm…thats right the Goat!….so far, Capitan Cooks is the best run for me! Great to do it with ya sis! Next year again! Wahoo!

    • catherinedrew July 22, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

      yeah. I just realized it is the first race we have done together, si? (first one of many). all i can say to you is: goat goat goat goat goat goat x

      • Pip July 22, 2010 at 4:57 pm #

        Hmmm, not sure I’ll be joining you tooooooo soon! Though Duck’s bound to get me along to something at some point in the next year. I hope to run the first part of Queen Charlotte this summer, then I’ll see. I’ve really enjoyed the Xterra runs, even though I’ve only been taking the wimpy short distances. I love the trail running so much now that I’m doing more and more of it!

  3. Bec July 23, 2010 at 7:54 pm #

    You mountain goat 🙂 Sounds awesome!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: